Think about it, as LTRO triggers on the leap day TODAY, why is the Central Bank being forced to do this against its will? The European monetary transmission mechanism doesn't have an IMF-Equivalent; so not only is the euro a political mishmash at the concept level its a stool (sic) on two legs at the practical institutional level.
EU Money supply is at rock bottom, the pump at the 'heart' of European money supply is on life support.
That 'life support' is LTRO from the Central Bank, right? The Central Bank should be independent right? It shouldn't be pumping up the very thing that it is chartered to control, that is perversity by definition right?
It's LTRO that I’m talking about this time! LTRO the latest version of “economic life support those” crackpot surgeons in the Central Banks and Treasuries of Europe have come up with. What is the issue with it? As LTRO2 approaches, to on the leap day (29/2/2012) I present a number of theses about LTRO;
1. LTRO is a workaround for Crowding Out
2. LTRO is executed via a process called 'Round Tripping' or known as a ‘Carry Trade’
3. Hedge Funds are intrinsic to the success of LTRO
4. This makes governments dependent upon Hedge Funds (& not just the banks)
5. LTRO creates a cash balloon which props up the equity market
6. LTRO is a high-risk central bank strategy which could deflate at a stroke
7. Ironically the very Hedge Funds and Asset Managers who are intrinsic to the success of LTRO are already freaked out by the high risk nature of the policy,
FT reports: Siemens parked 4 to 6 bn euros at ECB - withdrew 500 million+ from either SocGen or Credit Agricole 2 weeks ago
FT reports that Siemens withdrew more than half-a-billion euros in cash deposits from a large French bank two weeks ago and transferred it to the European Central Bank, in a sign of how companies are seeking havens amid Europe’s sovereign debt crisis.
In total, Siemens has parked between €4bn ($5.4bn) and €6bn at the ECB’s facilities, mostly through one-week deposits, this person said. Only a handful of large companies have the banking licences that allow them to deposit cash directly with the ECB.
Jean Claude Trichet;
Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice-President and I are very pleased to welcome you to our press conference. We will report on the outcome of today’s meeting of the Governing Council, which was also attended by Commissioner Rehn.